As Submitted to Mapua's June Coastal News
Let’s talk about pain. Your body is an amazing example of architectural design. Treat it well and it will treat you well. However sometimes our bodies hurt. Spinal problems, muscle, and nervous system conditions are the most common cause of long-term pain and physical disability. Pain in our frame (our skeletal structure) costs western society more than cancer, heart disease and diabetes combined. Approximately 80% of adults will experience spine, muscle, or nervous system pain at some point in their lifetime.
When people come into our Mapua and Motueka chiropractic clinics with pain in their frame they are seeking relief from a pain that often has plagued them for a long time. Others have only recently injured themselves. Many have tried to seek previous help from different people, including physiotherapy, massage or even invasive medical procedures without success.
The reason and the type of pain are generally caused by repetitive strain, overuse, and physical activity-related injuries. Neck and low back pain are two of the most common examples we see.
Common Symptoms of Spine, Muscle, or Nervous System Pain Include:
• Local or widespread pain that gets worse with movement
• Stiff and achy feeling throughout the body
• Muscle twitching
• Burning/hot feeling
• Sharp/shooting or lancinating
These symptoms of the spine, muscle, and nervous system pain vary from individual to individual, however, there are certain symptoms associated with specific structures in the body:
1. Muscle/Ligament Pain: This type of pain is perceived deeply; it is diffuse dull and achy pain that is hard to localize. If a muscle is torn or strained, a sharp, tearing or pulling sensation maybe felt during the movement of that muscle. Pain may or may not be present depending on the extent of the damage.
2. Joint Pain: Joint pain is stiff and achy pain that is aggravated by moving the joint. It may or may not be accompanied by swelling/redness at the joint itself.
3. Nerve Pain: With nerve pain, you would feel a burning, shooting, or numbness and tingling sensation. In more advanced or severe instances it may be accompanied by loss of strength or muscle bulk.
4. Bone Pain: This would be deep, penetrating or dull pain and often unrelenting. It differs from muscle and joint pain because it's present whether you're moving or not. Bone pain can have many different causes (e.g., fracture). It can also be a sign of one of the most common forms of cancer (bone cancer). If you feel this type of pain, do not put off seeking help so that the cause of the pain is investigated.
Spine, muscle, or nervous system pain is best treated by identifying and treating the cause of the problem in the first place and not by masking the problem with pain medications. A chiropractor is trained in identifying and treating musculoskeletal pain – this is what we specialise in. Here at Coast & Country Chiropractic Centre we will identify your source of pain and treat it whilst helping you to understand your condition. Once we have you back on track and doing better, we will guide you and help you to understand what you can do to stay well and prevent future problems from reoccurring.